It’s summertime in Texas and it’s HOT! And just about anything with water is fair game when we are looking for ways to stay cool….rivers, lakes, the coast, retention ponds… Join us as we relive childhood memories at swimming holes and discover new ones with Jordan Breal (@jordanbreal on Twitter) and Courtney Bond (@clbond on Twitter) from Texas Monthly. The inspiration for this podcast came from their recent issue called “Splash” that is all about swimming in Texas.
Swimming spots we discuss include:
- The Frio River at Garner State Park (because of course, it’s a Texan rite of passage! We suggest checking out Neal’s Lodges)
- San Felipe Creek in Del Rio (Texas Monthly says it’s great for frolicking…)
- Gus Fruh in Austin (It’s sort of a secret hideaway and there’s a rope swing…what more do you need?)
- Hamilton Pool in Dripping Springs is a must-see (just be prepared, you must make reservations)
- The Blue Hole in Wimberley is always a Texas favorite (and it makes for a great road trip!)
- Port Aransas Coast, McGee Beach or Matagorda Bay are great for attempted surfing (or boogie boarding)
- Check out Boykin Springs for breathtaking waterfalls
- The Comal River in New Braunfels (Perfect for tubing…just hold on to your stuff on the tube shoot!)
- For SCUBA diving, San Solomon Springs in Balmorhea and the Athens SCUBA Park are two of our favorites!
- Two of the best kept Texas secrets are Reimer’s Ranch and The Narrows in the Blanco River (sorry folks, this one’s on private land)
- If you’d like to up your swimming hole difficulty level, check out Devils River (Warning: No cell phone service!) or the Lower Pecos River (Texas Monthly spent 6 days paddling it!)
You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and the Windows store!
This endeavor is generously supported by Mighty Fine Burgers Fries Shakes.